[uClinux-dev] uClinux for ARM to use?

Willy Smith numatico at racsa.co.cr
Fri Jan 19 12:39:56 EST 2001

Arne,

Mitch accidentally did this about a week ago. Here's the best he can remember.

Assuming you're using binutils 2.10.1, Gcc 2.95.2, newlib 1.9.0, and gdb 5.0....

Unpack binutils, newlib, gcc and gdb.

You have to change in the binutils directory ld/configure.tgt; add armeb as one of the processor types by changing the line that start with arm-*-elf to arm*-*-elf. In the file ld/emulparams/armelf.sh, at the line that starts with OUTPUT_FORMAT, change  'littlearm' to 'bigarm'.

Execute in binutils directory:

                configure --target=armeb-elf
                make
                make install

Execute in gcc directory:

                configure --target=armeb-elf -with-newlib
                make
                make install

Now in newlib/newlib/configure.host, change all the lines where there is arm(something), to arm|armeb|armel (there are at least three places where you change this). Create a separate directory (example: armlib) at the same directory level where newlib-1.9.0/ is located (the installation directory). In this directory, execute:

                ../newlib-1.9.0/configure --target=armeb-elf

Edit the makefile, changing target cpu to arm. Then:

                make
                make install

Then in gdb, change bfd/config.bfd line 'arm)' to 'arm*)'. Find the line starting with arm-*-elf, copy it and the three lines that follow, inserting them below. Change the first line of this block to armeb-*-elf). Change the line with defvec from 'little' to 'big'. In the next line, change 'big' to 'little'. Then:

                configure --target=armeb-elf
                make
                make install

All this assumes that you want to build for an ARM bigendian ELF target.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Willy Smith
for Numatics, Inc.