[uClinux-dev] /dev directory on uCsimm

Tom Walsh tom at cyberiansoftware.com
Tue Jan 16 20:13:13 EST 2001

Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Tue Jan 16, 2001 at 03:12:34PM -0600, James Graves wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, D. Peter Siddons wrote:
> >
> > > Also, if I do an ls -l of any device node, I get 2 identical listings
> > > instead of one. A simple ls behaves normally. Any ideas?
> >
> > I always got 2 listings for each device, using the short or long
> > forms.
>
> What I do, is remove the stupid symlink, and then I create a real directory I
> populate that real directory with device nodes.  This makes things work.
>
>  -Erik
>
> --
> Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee at debian.org
> --This message was written using 73% post-consumer electrons--
> This message resent by the uclinux-dev at uclinux.org list server http://www.uClinux.org/

Exactly, if you look under the dev directory the symlink points to,
/opt/uClinux/dev, you will find not only the dev(ices) but another dev
directory.  This additional dev directory is apparently processed by the
mkromfs...  I have a script which I run under my
/opt/ez328lcd/linux/romdisk which does a bunch of MAKEDEVs and creates
the dev directory there (after removing the symlink).

Isn't there an FAQ we can put this info into?  This problem has been
around for at least a year!

TomW